Dienstag, 2. Oktober 2012

The one where the favorite writer is mentioned: MoFo Book Challenge #2 - Lochnagar

When I was in academic high school (German: Gymnasium) I had a definitive proclivity for 19th century literature and dandyism (and I never lost it, to be honest). I fell in love with the overflowing feelings of romantic writers and was especially fascinated with the story around Byron and the two Shelleys (at least one of them will be part of my Mofoing, too), their trip through Europe and their whole lifestyle. Byron is that kind of person that seems to be part if nearly every academic discipline. When I wrote my major work in history of European constitutions he popped up again as a part of the Greece freedom league and even when I finally tried to read the great Russian writers I found the Byronic heroes everywhere. 


There is so much to say about Lord Byron and it would be enough to fill a whole library (and not a small one), but instead I would love to tell you how I got to meet his works:
I was about 16 years old and Christmas was ante portas. I desperately had to find a present for my father and did not have a clue. Giving gifts to my father is a terrible thing: He has no real hobbies, when he likes something he buys it himself and he is not keen on getting things that are not useful, so gifting is not an easy task. Christmas was coming closer and closer and I still did not have an idea. I got him a book but thought it was too small to make a whole present and so I went with my mother for shopping. As we walked through the shops I grew more and more desperate - unable to find anything my father would like.
In the end my mother told me we would run out of time and that she had to get food for supper. When we entered the supermarket she suggested I should get a bottle of grappa to finally end the shopping drama. As we walked towards the hard liquor shelves we came across a whisk(e)y stand and one of the bottles looked so beautiful I decided to get this instead of the grappa (of course my mother had to buy it, even in Germany you have to be 18 to buy hard liquors). When I took a closer look on the packaging there was a poem written on it that really blew my mind. I had never read such beautiful words before, it touched me deep within: 



Of course I started to read every Byron poem I could find, I absolutely loved "She walks in Beauty" and the "Epitaph to a Dog" - I read everything he wrote, about him and his life and am still fascinated by the beauty and deepness of his language, his lifestyle and his temper. I guess he is one of the authors that definitely influenced my life.


As Byron is called the "most continental" of all English writers it was very hard to choose a dish for him, but even though his home was Europe one can find a deep longing for Scotland (the place where he grew up) in his poems. As I decided to dedicate my Byron dish to the poem that made him famous to me (and changed my world) I wanted to make something plain, simple and Scottish. And there is nothing that is more plain, simple and Scottish than Shortbread (maybe except for haggis but even a vegan version makes me shiver). My challenge was to create a palm free version (as there is no palm free margarine in Germany this was quite a task) and it worked perfectly well, the Shortbread is crumbly, crunchy and soft and makes me long for teatime:






Of course you can add different flavors like chocolate, seasonings, syrups,... or toppings!







Kommentare:

  1. Ich mag deine Challenge und die Art, wie du sie darbringst. aber eine Frage hab ich doch: Ich dachte, die Sojola wäre palmölfrei?! Hab zumindest keine anderen Infos. Nur, dass sie halt gehärtete Fette enthält und ich so oder so eigentlich keine brauche...
    LG, Momo

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Das ist an sich richtig, allerdings bezieht Sojola dafür Sojaöl aus nicht näher definierten brasilianischen Quellen, das ist im Prinzip die gleiche Problematik wie mit Palmöl und damit eigentlich nur eine Entscheidung für/gegen Orang-Utan oder Jaguar, um das mal ganz knapp zusammenzufassen....

      Löschen
  2. Ja, an dem Punkt bin ich auch. Hatte es zwar nicht en Detail recherchiert, aber letztlich dieselben Schlüsse gezogen, die du da jetzt darlegst! Wollte nur interessehalber wissen, ob Sojola nun palmölfrei ist oder nicht. Letztlich macht´s auch in meinen Augen keinen Unterschied, wie bei vielen importierten Produkten. Verbrauche derzeit das letzte Packerl Magarine, und das war´s dann!
    LG, Momo

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hey,
      bei mir gibts so gut wie nie Margarine, ich bin mittlerweile auf dem Standpunkt angekommen, an dem ich so viel wie möglich weglasse, vor allem bei Palmöl aber dann doch noch seltenst Ausnahmen mache (zB auf Elternbesuch wie letztens). Bei Soja ist das Problem allerdings etwas vielschichtiger, weil es auch Soja gibt, das nicht aus problemtischen Regionen stammt, das allerdings erstmal zu finden bedeutet massig Rechercheaufwand, ich schreib da mal nen Blogpost drüber, sobald der MoFo vorbei ist....

      Löschen
    2. Ja, so langsam versteh ich wirklich auch, warum man regional bevorzugen sollte. Ich komm halt immer mehr zum Selber-Machen (mit möglichst regionalen Produkten), weil ich als Kosnument dadurch die Distanz zum Produkt abbaue. Soja ist für mich in der Tat nicht so einfach abzuhandeln. Insofern bin ich dankbar, wenn du dazu was schreiben würdest, vielleicht auch mit so wa wie ner kleinen(!)"weißen Liste", falls es nicht zuviel Arbeit bedeutet... Evtl. gibt es dazu ja auch schon was...
      Das ist der Grund, warum ich deinen Blog so mag: Er beschäftigt sich halt wirklich mit nachaltiger Lebensweise, klärt auf, ohne dabei militant zu sein. Allein deine Palmöl-Serie ist da ein schönes Beispiel, weil Verzicht ja nur eine Möglichkeit ist...
      LG, Momo

      Löschen
  3. vegan shortbread!! I'd so make this.

    Love your theme. I used to be a book lover too but alas my crafts have taken up a lot of time now. Maybe your posts will inspire me to read (& cook!) more again.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Jun!

      Thank you so much! I guess I couln't live without books but I also had times in my life when I just did not have any time to read stuff I liked.

      How are you doing? How's little J?

      Löschen
  4. Yum, the shortbread looks perfect :)I love reading as well and have a book blog, too!

    AntwortenLöschen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.