Dienstag, 23. Oktober 2012

The one with the book that always makes me want to travel - MoFo Book Challenge #21 - The Discovery of Slowness by Sten Nadolny


I am sorry, I am terribly behind with posting, I just have no time at all, because there is so much I have to do. Still I did not manage to write my Sunday Round Up and I am not sure I will be able to do so, as I again have a 1000+ unread posts in my feed reader. First of all I will try to catch up with my daily posts, but as I won't have time during the next days this might take a little. 


Today's book might be one of the most beautiful novels of German modern literature. The plot is about a guy who is extraordinary slow. But instead of being left behind he finds help and decides to travel the world by becoming a sailor, after many different opportunities that make him grow and evolve, he becomes one of the greatest leaders, as his decisions are well-considered and him being a moral person. Nadolny does not write a fictional book: John Franklin, the explorer of the Northwest Passage is a person that truly existed, but he interprets Franklin's life in a very modern way. Even though the geographic and historical proceedings are correct, Nadolny's Franklin cannot be compared with the historical model, he is a very modern person, his views, his morals, but not in a cheesy historic fiction way. He struggles with life, but his struggle makes him realize that the slowness that is first thought to be his greatest handicap, in fact is his biggest gift.

Maybe this book might be an inspiration for all people that feel handicapped and might need a different point of view, but it mainly works for everyone who is fed up with the requirement to handle all things as quick as possible. 









I decided to go with the explorer and nautical theme and took different things that are famous for not being of European origin. Pasta is a Chinese invention, even though no one could ever imagine Italian cooking without pasta! Tomatoes made their way from Central and Southern America to Europe (which means, no spaghetti neapolitana and even worse: no pizza, ...) and Eggplants were brought to Europe from the Middle East. I also used chocolate as this might be the best example (except for coffee) for imported food. Personally I love how dark chocolate works with tomato sauce, if you never tasted it you really have to give it a try!
Btw: Schiffchen is German annd means 'small ship', but it is also common to name a dish, which reminds vaguey of a ship, that way. 






Kommentare:

  1. I've never tried chocolate in tomato sauce, but sounds interesting!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. A few months ago I found a recipe that used chocolate in chili sin carne, at first I thought that was weird, but I gave it a try and the chocolate truly adds deepness to the flavouring

      Löschen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.