Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2012

The one with the book which I never finished - MoFo Book Challenge #18 - Ulysses by Jame Joyce




The title of this post may be misleading, there are lots of books that I did not finish - for several reasons: Sometimes I dislike the language, sometimes I hate the characters and sometimes the story is just not the kind of stuff I want to spend my reading time with. Several reasons for not reading on. But there is one book I always wanted to finish and never managed to get through: Ulysses by James Joyce. Talking about Ulysses is difficult anyway, there is lots that could be said about it and even more you just have to mention when you write about it, I don't want to bore you by reciting Wikipedia, but I can tell you what experiences I made when I tried to get through it: It is a very tough read, it is definitely genius, but it is not the kind of book you read on a rainy Sunday afternoon. You have to struggle to keep reading and sometimes I felt like Joyce did not want to write a book for readers- he wrote a book for literary studies.
I tried to read Ulysses - again and again. I even had a bet with a friend (who did not manage to read it either)   who would finish Ulysses first in 2007 - by now neither of us won. 








But there are people who read Ulysses and Joyce's book even has a special day: Bloomsday.
 There is even traditional Bloomsday food, a kidney for breakfast and later on a Gorgonzola sandwich. Both option are not very vegan friendly. At first I also wanted to create a Gorgonzola inspired spread, but it did not come out the way I imagined and so there is only a Ulysses inspired breakfast spread - call it Vegan Bloomsday Food: 









Kidney Bean Spread
1 can kidney beans
40g capers
1 onion, chopped and sautéed
2 cloves of garlic
~2tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemon basil, chopped (sub with basil + 1tsp lemon juice)
salt, pepper


blend kidney beans and capers, then add garlic, onion, tomato paste and olive oil, blend until you get a smooth and creamy paste. If the pread is not creamy enough add more olive oil. 
Finally stir garlic and lemon basil in and use salt and pepper to adjust the spread to your taste. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.