Donnerstag, 11. Oktober 2012

The one with the writer that aroused my interest for philosophy - MoFo Book Challenge #11 - Luciano De Crescenzo



It wasn't easy for me to pick one of De Crescenzo's books as he has written so many which I really enjoyed. I thought I would go with one that has been translated into English, but sorrily there is only 'Thus spoke Bellavista' which I did not read by now (even though it is waiting on my bed table....). But I do not want to dedicate today's dish to one special book anyway, but to all the books I read, as they made me familiar with philosophy and Greek mythology when I was a child. The book on the picture is a brief history about presocratic philosophy, and by brief I mean brief. When I was about 12 it was just perfect for my first steps towards philosophy. The book was very easy to read and to understand, it explains the historical circumstances and gives a short introduction to philosophic thinking. I think it is just perfect for an interested child.
He also does re-narrations of Greek mythology which are really fun to read (for example his book about the Trojan War, German title: "Helena, Helena, amore mio").

I always loved his style of writing and demystifying complex trains of thought and even though I would not really recommend his philosophical history books to people that already came in touch with Greek philosophy, I would love to entrust his mythological books to everyone who is interested in Greek mythology. 





Ancient Greece is not only known for its' achievements regarding philosophy, mathematics and architecture but also for being the first European cuisine to discover the technique of baking. They copied Northern African baking cultures and even though their dishes were still very simple, Greeks were the first Europeans to create cakes and sweet pastries. Of course they were absolutely different from today's baking: it took several centuries until Romans improved the flour quality, there was no plain sugar (like the one we can work with) and no knowledge about the chemical processes that baking requires. 
But instead in Ancient Greece baking was assumed to be an art - something scholars and philosophers would pay particular attention. And whilst Teutons and Celts still had to stick to gruel, Greeks invented Europe's first patisserie.

I think this dish is the perfect equivalent to philosophical history: Ideas that were mentioned by ancient Greek philosopher's can still be found in modern philosophy, and these fritters are, even though they changed a lot and became refined in different ways,  very tasty ancestors of today's Loukoumades










Ancient Greek 'Honey' and Sesame Fritters


120g all-purpose flour
225ml water
1 spoon dandelion honey (sub with agave syrup)
plant oil

sesame&dandelion honey

mix flour, water and dandelion honey, stir well, heat oil in a frying pan and pour 1/4 of the dough in it. When it thickens flip 3-4 times to fry both sides equally
sprinkle with sesame and pour honey on top, serve hot

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.