Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2012

The one with the writer that engaged my interest in foreign cultures - MoFo Book Challenge #16 - Rafik Schami's storytelling



If you are among the lucky ones that happen to know the book  on the image you might have thought: "well this is a very new book, wasn't she interested in foreign cultures before?" But let me explain: When I was a child my godfather worked at a radio station, which had a weekly special for children. As we did not live close enough to listen to his radio station's program, he always recorded the specials and gave them to me. He was especially fascinated with a Syrian writer: Rafik Schami appeared in several episodes telling stories of Syrian origin, talking about his childhood in Damascus and guiding his listeners into the colorful world of Syrian tales, fairy tales and myths. All this was so different from the things I knew by then and I was listening to those 3 tapes he gave me for several years. When I grew older I forgot about the stories, as I forgot about most of my childhood favourites, but last year I happened to receive his newest book as a pre-release and it took me back to my fascinated inner child. I remembered most of this stories anyway, but it felt so indulging to read them again and I could literally feel and smell the streets of Damascus.
Sorrily this book wasn't translated into English by now, but I think his book Damascus Nights would be a perfect alternative. 






I went with a sweet that is traditional in Middle Eastern, Northern African and related countries as well as in Greek and Russia: Halva (also: halwa, helva, chalwa). Usually it is sweet enough to knock your teeth out and most of the recipes contain egg whites, but in the Middle East it is quite common to have egg free versions like this one: It mainly consists of ground almonds and tahini and is not too sweet (so it was perfect to fill the dates, which are sweet enough anyway...), but if you love to have something like the "real halva deal" just add an extra 100g of sugar. Other halva versions are much stiffer and I doubt they are proper for filling dates. 





halva from the fridge





Kommentare:

  1. Das ist definitiv was für mich :)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. musste mal probieren, Halva ist, wegen dem doch recht dominanten Tahin-Geschmacck, für den untrainierten europäischen Gaumen erstmal ein wenig fremd

      Löschen
  2. finde es spannend was du so über bücher schreibst :)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. ich les einfach gern.... hatte mal überlegt nen Bücherblog aufzumachen, kam dann aber doch nie dazuund so lassen sich zwei Leidenschaften verbinden :)

      Löschen
    2. Ich hatte mal einen Bücherblog für 2-3 Monate und einen über Musik... und irgendwann ist mir aufgefallen, dass ich 3 Blogs einfach nicht gleichzeitig schaffe wenn ich gleichzeitig studieren und arbeiten muss...

      Löschen
    3. das ist schon auch mein Problem, ich schaff ja, wenn ich ehrlich sein soll, schon den Blog hier nur mit allergrößten Mühen (auch wenns viel Spaß macht, aber ich muss mich oft treten, damit ich mal wieder nen richtigen Beitrag schreibe....)

      ist bei mir ja auch ziemlich ähnlich: arbeiten, studieren, irgendwann will ich dann auch einfach nur noch meine füße auf den tisch legen ...

      Löschen
  3. I remember I was fascinated by all the foreign cultures (mostly American and European, from my point of view, but literally all over the world) I read through books in childhood too. Those books have widened my perspectives and I'm grateful to have an opportunity to read them, although sadly I don't really remember specific titles or stories that influenced me like you do.

    I'm definitely going to read a LOT of books to little J!

    AntwortenLöschen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.